Top Ten Things to Know About CCNS
2. Research shows that small group size and low teacher:student ratios are optimal for young children. Our groups range from 2 teachers:8 children in our One and Two Day programs to a maximum group size of 2 teachers:15 children in our Five Day Pre-Kindergarten classes.
3. Our Pre-Kindergarten program meets or exceeds the New York State standards for this age group.
4. We're the only school in Rye to adopt the “Bank Street” approach to early childhood education, which links learning to the outside world, and sees education as an opportunity to build community.
5. Our teachers are highly qualified. Four of our Five head teachers possess Master’s degrees in early education and the fifth teacher is an early childhood education graduate student.
6. We’re a school that places great emphasis on creative expression through music, movement, dramatic play, storytelling and visual arts. Paintings that decorate this website were made by children in the Five Day Program during the 2005-06 school year. The display of clay faces are self-portraits from the 2008-09 school year.
7. All children regularly play with blocks. Click here to see the Jackson Pollock’s Studio project created by our pre-kindergarten groups.
8. We’re blessed with an active and caring Parents’ Association, which raises funds through the annual Play Today Fair, an important event in the Rye year.
9. The Bonnie G. Loflin Memorial Nursery School Scholarship Fund has been established to enable a child to attend the three-year-old or four-year-old-group, who might otherwise be unable to attend due to family financial circumstances.
10. We teach children how to think. As Eleanor Roosevelt said: "Every effort must be made in childhood to teach the young to use their own minds. For one thing is sure: if they don't make up their own minds, someone will do it for them."